2/2/13

[Xbox 360] 黒歴史の始まり?




So I've finally managed to put down Neptune V for the time being...

My first agenda is getting the now hopelessly outdated "My Precious" section up to speed. After all, it won't be exclusively about handhelds anymore...

Anyway, one of the systems I never thought I'd get to own is the Xbox 360, known amongst the paltry Japanese folks who have them as "hako" (whether the context is affecionate or sarcastic is anyone's guess). It's king in the good ol' US of A despite being backwards in so many different aspects, but it's reception is mixed elsewhere.

Naturally, in keeping with my usual theme, this system is NTSC-J, pure Japan region. It wasn't hard to obtain given the dismal sales numbers in said area and most importantly, The price I got it for was a practical steal.

So if you care enough to read about the history, hit the break link. Otherwise, just feel free to drool over Kobato.

My primary reason for getting it is none other than Boost On's Love Tore series. Gachiman, one of my watchlisted users in Nico Nico Douga got advanced copies of the game and churned out a few commentary play vids on it (even dragging his wife along with funky results).

That pretty much sealed the deal. That guy not only has a whacked sense of humor, but also good taste in games (that's why I watchlisted him).


As of this writing, I've already obtained all three limited edition copies of said game, "Sweet", "Mint" and "Bitter" versions. Each comes with a towel sporting a group shot of the four girls from every version in their swimsuits, all designed by the awesome Kasukabe Akira, who's tops among my favorite galge artists.

So what's the game about?

You play a dude who's become the de facto president of the school's floundering (and practically unmanned) dance club. Despite being a bit on flat-footed side, his childhood friend nonetheless tasks him to seek out members and revive said club, which has a history of developing top class and charming performers.

Okay, so the story isn't exactly award-winning material. But who cares? The name of the game is getting yourself in the screen dancing/exercising/playing around with a pretty 2D girl. What's not to love? Despite being a royal pain to calibrate (I've struggled many times to get that damned  smiley card in the right place), the Kinect sensor becomes the player's gateway to the Love Tore world.

It's not virtual reality, but it's a step in the right direction towards every hardcore otaku's dream.

One thing to note about the 360 (being a US-made system and all) is that aside from this series, there aren't that many good Japanese titles in it's library. Notewothy ones mainly consist of major franchises (which have infinitely better and easily accessible PS3 ports), galges (particularly 5pb titles) and Cave Shooters (not really my hottest genre, but I've tried and appreciated quite a few).

As far as my box's repertoire goes, it boils down to 7 DVD-ROMs and 3 DL titles. A paltry number as it were, but the main thing is that they're all titles that I actually enjoy. That's the key point of gaming after all... 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know Kasukabe Akira has done illustrations for games! :o I know him from the manga adaptation of Rumble Roses, and I'm following his currently running manga Evergreen.

    I kinda regretted selling my Xbox360. As little as they may be, there are a few games that I indeed want to try, like Oneechanbara Kagura Z. My reasoning is that those games may be ported to PS3 later anyway, but it has been a while and there are still no signs of that -_-;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kasukabe has also done 2 character designs for Ore No Yome (another 360 galge). Thinking of getting that one too later on...

    Regarding Onechanbara Z Kagura, D3 made it clear that they're porting it to another system, they're just not saying which one and when. All eyes are on the PS3. If that becomes fact though, Sony will probably push for the content to be toned down a bit so it meets at least a CERO D standard.

    CERO Z Rated games are rare in the Japanese PS3 scene after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta say his art has really improved. I can tell Love Tore is a pretty new game since that's what his latest art looks like in Evergreen. It's also pretty cool how he spells his surname Kasukabe in English as 'Caskabe'.

    Hooray for that info! XD Well, it's not like the game has sex, and I think not even a shower scene, anyway. I don't mind if it's just blood effects and such to be toned down. Those are nice, but not having those sometimes makes for a clearer view, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's mainly going to be the amputation effects, no doubt. Dead Space's Japanese PS3 release got canceled since the game revolved around doing that to effectively kill enemies.

    Well, if Onechanbara Z does get the PS3 treatment, I hope the Aya/Saki arc won't be DLC this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait XD
    I'm fine with Vita version too, lol

    ReplyDelete