3/13/11

[その他] 頑張れ!日本!!!

Shame on me.

For the past week I've been living under my proverbial hikkikomori rock.

It took me a while to hear about the tragedy that has struck Japan, coming in the form of a tsunami triggered by a Magnitude 8.9 (though some experts seem eager to round it off to a flat 9) earthquake. Disasters have been a periodical part of Japanese history because their territory is situated on the so-called "Pacific Ring Of Fire", but that doesn't make things any easier for them. Over 10,000 were killed, and possible nuclear plant meltdowns over some of the affected areas are also a major concern.

This is truly a dark time for a country whose collective culture I study and admire. While I could devote a whole paragraph into making a profound personal dedication, it isn't really necessary. Pro skier Noriaki Kasai pretty much summed up my exact same sentiments in a simple message written on his gloves:

Be strong, Japan!! Don't give in to suffering!

No comments:

Post a Comment