11/20/10

[PSP] 加奈~いもうと~


Sure, tell me that my love for the genre isn't strong enough, but I have a simple rule for galges: If I have immediate access to the PC (eroge) version, then I won't even bother touching the console version if one was ever released. People with enough knowledge of such games would know where I'm coming from. I'll only be satisfied with panchira if it was all the game can ever offer.

However, I'm not beyond making exceptions to that rule if the galge offered something more profound than just the Hentai scenes. Kana ~Imouto~ is one such exception. It moved me so much when I first played it (and in saying so might just reveal my approximate age to you folks out there) so when I heard that it was being re-released for the PSP, I jumped at the chance to experience it again.

セーラー服、似合うぞ、加奈ちゅわ~ん!! :-)

The game tells the story of Taka Todo, a boy who cares deeply about his sister Kana. The latter has been hospital-bound most of her life due to chronic renal failure. He initially resents Kana back in their childhood days because their parents shower most of their attention on her, but over time Taka comes to understand her circumstances, creating a strong bond between them that soon grows into a love far deeper than just mere familial ties...

Hello~ nurse! If Miki was an alternative to Yumi, I'd pursue her ending in a heartbeat.

The original eroge used to display the narrative text on top of the background by slightly blacking it out. The PSP version changes it to the classic text box style, which is a lot less irritating. While I would have liked to see the character designs of the remake to appear in this game, I was satisfied enough seeing everything as it was, including a handful of new graphics that integrated well with the existing ones. People new to the game might find the art style iffy when compared to today's standards, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

 Kana fainted in the bath!! Keep cool, Taka... little Taka too. CERO has an eye out for you, so behave.

As with any old galge, you're responsible for the choices Taka makes in this life, determining whether Kana succumbs to her condition or makes a miraculous recovery. Get a box of tissues handy (and your mind out of the gutter while you're at it) because this story has made many a grown man cry, myself included. Of course, what's a galge without having some love interests to choose from? For me of course, Kana is the obvious final candidate. No matter how hard I try, I can never bring myself to like Yumi.

This is by far the most touching kissing scene I've ever laid eyes on. Too bad most people would cry foul upon finding out that they're siblings.

While this is mainly a sentimental trip for for fans of the now out-of-circulation eroge, Kana ~Imouto~ is a gem of a galge for the PSP which I can proudly recommend to anyone with similar interests. If the drama doesn't get you hooked, the little sister complex overtones will.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I remember playing this game long time ago on PC. It was definitely a touching story... >.< I think they should've redrawn the art for this PSP version, though... not because the current art is bad, just that it feels... 90s-ish :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? Saw a handful of pics for Kana Okaeri and it seems a bit more fitting for the times.

    But I digress. The 90's style still has it's own nostalgic charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... I guess keeping the art as it is is also good for those who played the original version and wouldn't want the masterpiece to be messed in any way... :D

    ReplyDelete